How can I help make sure my botulinum neurotoxin injection is successful?

Injecting botulinum neurotoxin is as much art as it is science. It is in your best interest to locate the most well-trained and experienced doctor you can find. Before making an appointment to receive botulinum neurotoxin injections, ask the office personnel:
  • which doctor will be doing the injections
  • where he/she received training
  • how many patients the provider has treated with botulinum neurotoxin injections for your form of dystonia
The success of a botulinum neurotoxin injection depends upon:
  • the dose
  • the specific sites in the muscles where the product is injected
  • the doctor’s experience
  • clear communication between you and your doctor regarding specific symptoms treated and what to expect 

Continue Learning about Dystonia

Dystonia

When your muscles contract involuntarily, the condition is called dystonia. Dystonia causes a twisting or clenching of whatever body part is affected. For example, when you have a stroke, the affected arm and hand may be clenched ...

and held in a strange position. Dystonia can be very mild or very severe. It can make your life very difficult and this can lead to frustration, depression or anxiety. See your doctor to treat your symptoms and talk over your frustrations.