Does dystonia shorten one's lifespan?

For most people, the answer to this question is no. A diagnosis of dystonia will not affect how long you will live. Although there is no cure for the condition, treatments usually help to manage and control symptoms.

Continue Learning about Dystonia

What is focal dystonia?
Dystonia Medical Research Foundation (DMRF)Dystonia Medical Research Foundation (DMRF)
Dystonia may affect a specific part of the body, or it may affect muscles all over the body. When dy...
What kinds of doctors typically treat dystonia?
Individuals with dystonia are encouraged to seek out a neurologist with training in movement disorde...
Can I have dystonia in my neck?
Yes, dystonia affecting the neck muscles is among the most common types of dystonia. Dystonia in the...
Is dystonia a mental disability?
Dystonia does not affect a person's mental ability. In some cases, people mistake those with dystoni...