Are there alternative treatments for dry eyes?

There are a number of alternative treatments that can help relieve the symptoms of dry eyes. Increasing consumption of fatty acids, particularly of the omega-3 variety, is one treatment for dry eyes. These fatty acids can come from supplements or the diet. Foods high in omega-3 fatty acids include oily fish, walnuts, and flaxseeds. Other alternative treatments include increasing the humidity in the home, applying warm compresses to the eyes, avoiding the use of blow dryers and protecting eyes from the wind with wraparound glasses, or massaging the eyelids. If alternative treatments do not help, your doctor may recommend prescription eyedrops such as Xiidra or Restasis.

Continue Learning about Dry Eyes

How Do Dry Eyes Affect Women Differently Than Men?
Do dry eyes affect men and women differently? In this video, ophthalmologist David Demartini, MD, discusses why women are more susceptible than men wh...
How do I manage my dry eyes on a daily basis?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
You can manage your dry eyes on a daily basis through an over-the-counter product and giving your ey...
Should I be worried about dry eyes?
If you are over the age of 65 and you are experiencing eye irritation over an extended period, you m...
What do dry eyes mean about my eye health?
Dry eyes mean that the eyes are not being supplied with adequate tears to function normally. Tears m...