What is antimicrobial stewardship?

Lisa Dumkow, PharmD
Pharmacy Specialist

Antimicrobial stewardship is the careful, appropriate use of antibiotics only when needed and in the correct dosage and duration.

Fifty percent of antibiotic usage is inappropriate, in both inpatient and outpatient settings. As an example, it is inappropriate to prescribe an antibiotic for an upper respiratory viral infection, yet many people ask for antibiotics in such cases.

Continue Learning about Drug Safety

How Much Ibuprofen Is Too Much?
How Much Ibuprofen Is Too Much?
Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) like ibuprofen are some of the most commonly used medications, with more than 30 billion doses taken ann...
What is the role of pharmaceutical companies in ensuring drug safety?
PhRMAPhRMA
The pharmaceutical industry has two major roles in managing the safety of medicines: 1) To collect,...
How do I get my medications from a safe source?
PhRMAPhRMA
Once you and your doctor decide you need a medicine, it’s important to get it from a safe source. Ge...
How to Prevent Medication Errors and Accidental Overdose