How can I prevent children from consuming alcohol?

Fredrick Wade
Addiction Medicine
The ultimate answer is that you probably cannot. However, you can choose to not have alcohol in your home at all, or you can keep all alcohol in a locked place to minimize children being able to easily access it. The most important thing I think you can do, however, is role model non-use in front of your children or, more realistically, role-model a mild relationship with alcohol. Role modeling is the most important tool you have to increase or decrease their interest in alcohol. Try not to make comments such as "I really had a hard day at work and can't wait to have a drink" for instance. Such messages by design will intensify a child's desire to know more about alcohol.

Continue Learning about Drug, Alcohol, Tobacco Use In Teens

How can I make sure my teen avoids drunk driving on prom night?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Use a news story to connect the dangers of drinking and driving to a real issue. Our “lectures” ...
How can I talk to my teen about alcohol poisoning?
Binge drinking, which can lead to alcohol poisoning, is most common in young adults aged 18 to 22 ye...
Why is vodka eyeballing dangerous for teens?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Eyeballing is when a teen holds a vodka bottle to his eye and pours the alcohol directly into th...
What should I tell my teenager about alcohol and parties?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Review party and drinking safety. No matter how hard schools try, alcohol seems to find its way ...