What causes nightmares?

A Chinese study showed the following:

• Those in the “neurotic category” were more likely to have scary dreams.

• There is evidence of a genetic susceptibility to nightmares.

• Frequency was also linked to income and unemployment. Those reporting the lowest incomes were 2.3 times more likely to have three or more nightmares a week compared to the more affluent.

• Higher levels of stress associated with lower incomes and social status may predispose some people to nightmares.

• The risk of having a psychiatric disorder was 5.7 times greater for those with frequent nightmares compared with those without.

Continue Learning about Dreams and Nightmares

What does it mean when I dream about my teeth crumbling or falling out?
Lauri LoewenbergLauri Loewenberg
Dreaming that your teeth are crumbling or falling out is connected to your communication; loose spee...
What can I do that will help me remember my dreams?
Lauri LoewenbergLauri Loewenberg
The best way to remember your dream is to remain very still in the same position you woke in, give y...
Rhenotha and Dr. Oz Reveal Their Strange Dreams
Why Are Dreams Important?
Why Are Dreams Important?