When will my child with Down syndrome learn to talk?

Each child, regardless of a diagnosis, may have strengths and weaknesses in any given area. Some children with Down syndrome may have adequate muscle tone in their mouth and jaw and have a good understanding of expressive language, so there may not be much of a delay with talking. Others may struggle to achieve the milestone of saying the first word. Generally, children with Down syndrome have verbally expressed their first words between ages one and four. They've connected two words to make a phrase between the ages of two and seven-and-a-half. A child who develops typically, might begin to talk anywhere from one to three years and string together words from 15 to 32 months of age.

Continue Learning about Down Syndrome

How can I take care of my child with Down syndrome?
Joan Guthrie MedlenJoan Guthrie Medlen
By being a good parent.Being a parent of a child with Down syndrome is just that: being a parent. Th...
How can people with Down syndrome be active members in their communities?
National Down Syndrome SocietyNational Down Syndrome Society
People with Down syndrome are active participants in educational, social and recreational activities...
The Connection Between Down Syndrome and Alzheimer's Disease
At What Age Does Dementia Set in for Down's Syndrome Patients?