How common is Down syndrome?

According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), approximately one in every 700 babies in the United States is born with Down syndrome, making Down syndrome the most common chromosomal condition.

This content originally appeared on the National Down Syndrome Society website.

Chances are you have probably heard of Down syndrome before and may even know a person with it. Today, one baby out of 800 or so is born with Down syndrome. And about 250,000 families living in the United States have a member with the genetic disorder.

Approximately 1 in every 1000 children born worldwide has Down Syndrome. Many of these children die early due to complications of the syndrome, such as congenital heart defects. In 2008, researchers estimated there were 250,000 people in the United States living with Down Syndrome. This translates to about 8 persons per 10,000.

Continue Learning about Down Syndrome

Does Down syndrome run in families?
National Down Syndrome SocietyNational Down Syndrome Society
All three types of Down syndrome are genetic conditions (relating to the genes), but only one percen...
How can I take care of my child with Down syndrome?
Joan Guthrie MedlenJoan Guthrie Medlen
By being a good parent.Being a parent of a child with Down syndrome is just that: being a parent. Th...
At What Age Does Dementia Set in for Down's Syndrome Patients?
How Are You Applying Your Down's Syndrome Research to Alzehimer's Disease?