Are there alternative treatments for Down syndrome?

Alternative treatments for Down syndrome include hormone treatment and diet and nutritional supplements, among others. Proponents claim these treatments will improve cognitive delays, growth and development patterns, and even change the appearance of a person with Down syndrome. Yet, there is little scientific evidence that proves that these treatments work. If you are interested in an alternative treatment, make sure to talk to your doctor about the probable side effects and overall value of it.

Continue Learning about Down Syndrome

What are the different types of Down syndrome?
National Down Syndrome SocietyNational Down Syndrome Society
There are three types of Down syndrome: trisomy 21 (nondisjunction), translocation and mosaicism. ...
How can I take care of my child with Down syndrome?
Joan Guthrie MedlenJoan Guthrie Medlen
By being a good parent.Being a parent of a child with Down syndrome is just that: being a parent. Th...
Are Down Syndrome Therapies Similar to Alzehimer's Disease Therapies?
How Was the Connection Between Down's Syndrome and Alzehimer's Disease Made?