Are there alternative treatments for Down syndrome?

Alternative treatments for Down syndrome include hormone treatment and diet and nutritional supplements, among others. Proponents claim these treatments will improve cognitive delays, growth and development patterns, and even change the appearance of a person with Down syndrome. Yet, there is little scientific evidence that proves that these treatments work. If you are interested in an alternative treatment, make sure to talk to your doctor about the probable side effects and overall value of it.

Continue Learning about Down Syndrome

How can I teach my Down syndrome child not to hit or pull hair?
Joan Guthrie MedlenJoan Guthrie Medlen
First, take a deep breath. It always helps.Children with Down syndrome are going to have some of the...
How does maternal age affect the odds of having a baby with Down syndrome?
The risk of having a baby with Down syndrome increases as the maternal age increases. The risk incre...
The Connection Between Down Syndrome and Alzheimer's Disease
How Was the Connection Between Down's Syndrome and Alzehimer's Disease Made?