If I am pregnant, is it safe to take furosemide?

It may not be safe to take the diuretic furosemide (Lasix) if you're pregnant. Although it hasn't been studied in pregnant women, the Food and Drug Administration lists furosemide as a Category C drug, which means that it's been found to present risks in animals. In animal studies, large doses of furosemide -- higher than the equivalent human doses -- have caused harm to the mother and the developing fetus.

Continue Learning about Diuretic

What are the risks of misusing diuretics?
Diuretics should only be taken when prescribed by a doctor to you for a specific reason. Your body n...
What are loop diuretics for heart failure management?
Loop diuretics remove sodium and water from the body, acting on a part of the kidney called the Loop...
What should I know before taking loop diuretics?
If you have cirrhosis of the liver, you should not take a loop diuretic. If you have an allergy to ...
Do loop diuretics interact with any other medications?
If you are taking an aminoglycoside, loop diuretics can lead to side effects and should be avoided. ...