How can I minimize the side effects of furosemide?

You can minimize side effects of furosemide (Lasix), a powerful diuretic that reduces fluid retention (edema) in people with heart failure, by following your doctor's instructions carefully. If he or she prescribes a special diet, such as a low-sodium diet with plenty of potassium-rich fruits and vegetables (or, in some cases, a potassium pill), follow that diet.

Furosemide can cause a sharp drop in blood pressure, especially if you sit up or stand up quickly. You can minimize that side effect by rising slowly.

This medication may also increase blood sugar levels, so if you have diabetes, talk to your doctor about ways to keep your blood sugar under control.

Show your doctor every medication, prescription or nonprescription, that you are taking, to avoid a drug interaction that can increase the risk of side effects.