How does hydrochlorothiazide treat high blood pressure?

Hydrochlorothiazide (HCTZ) is a diuretic that works in the kidneys to remove salt from the body. By removing excess salt from the body, the body also excretes excess water. Too much salt or fluid in the body causes the heart to have to work harder to pump blood through the arteries. The higher your blood pressure, the higher the risk for heart attack, stroke, kidney disease and other serious health conditions.

Continue Learning about Diuretic

How effective are loop diuretics for heart failure management?
Loop diuretics can reduce shortness of breath, improve physical stamina, and reduce leg or ankle swe...
What should I know before taking a thiazine diuretic for heart failure?
If you are allergic to sulfa drugs, a thiazide diuretic may not be a good option for you. If you ha...
What is metolazone?
Metolazone (Zaroxolyn) inhibits sodium reabsorption in a different part of the kidney than loop diur...
What should I know before taking loop diuretics?
If you have cirrhosis of the liver, you should not take a loop diuretic. If you have an allergy to ...