How can I get Social Security benefits if I have cancer?

To qualify for Social Security Disability benefits, you must meet the Social Security Administration’s (SSA) definition of disability. A cancer diagnosis does not automatically meet the SSA’s definition of disability. The SSA processes cancer disability claims on a case-by-case basis. You must therefore prove that you cannot work for at least one year because of your diagnosis, and this proof must come from your doctor. People who have stem cell or bone marrow transplants automatically meet the definition.

Continue Learning about Disability Insurance

How can I find work through the Ticket to Work program?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
If you want to work through the Ticket to Work program, you can get the help you need from two types...
Can I apply for a Compassionate Allowance from SSA if I have cancer?
PearlPoint Cancer SupportPearlPoint Cancer Support
In cases of advanced stage cancer, you may qualify for “Compassionate Allowance” from the Social Sec...
What benefits are available through Social Security Disability Income?
LIVESTRONGLIVESTRONG
Social Security Disability Income (SSDI) pays wage replacement benefits for eligible people who have...
Are there tips on how to get approved for Social Security disability?
The best advice to get your Social Security disability approved is to have all your documents in ord...