How can I apply for disability benefits if I have bipolar disorder?

Ruth White, MPH
Social Work
The U.S. Social Security Administration provides two benefits for the mentally ill: Supplemental Security Income (SSI) for people who are poor, disabled, and unable to work, and Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) for people who are poor, disabled, and unable to work but have worked in the past or whose parents worked and contributed into the system.

Eligibility for either Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) through the Social Security Administration (SSA) is challenging because the standard of disability is high. However, if your bipolar disorder symptoms are severe enough to interfere with your ability to work, you may qualify for one of the two programs. You can get a form at the SSA website or from your local SSA office, which you can find in your phone directory (or online), and get someone at the office help you with your application.

There's no charge for the application process for either SSI or SSDI.

The SSA uses several criteria to determine disability and bipolar disorder is a qualifying illness, but your experience of bipolar disorder must be debilitating to the point where you cannot work at all. Under the SSI program, there are no benefits payable for short term or partial disability.

Qualifying as disabled requires a long interview with the SSA staff and the completion of many forms. It's usually a slow and arduous process requiring perseverance, patience, and determination. Advocate for yourself in this process by seeking legal assistance or using the services provided by SSA (such as a representative), because most cases get denied on the first try. But if you're truly disabled, be prepared to fight for the legitimacy of your case to get the benefits to which you're entitled.
Bipolar 101: A Practical Guide to Identifying Triggers, Managing Medications, Coping with Symptoms, and More

After receiving a bipolar diagnosis, you need clear answers. Bipolar 101 is a straightforward guide to understanding bipolar disorder. It includes all the information you need to control your...

Continue Learning about Disability Insurance

Where can I find information about disability resources online?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
Disability.gov is a federal government website that provides comprehensive information about disabil...
Who is eligible for the Ticket to Work program?
You become eligible to participate in the Ticket to Work program when you start receiving Social Sec...
What should I consider when reviewing disability coverage?
Philip Lisagor, MDPhilip Lisagor, MD
If you are still working, disability insurance can provide a portion of your compensation in the eve...
How does age affect Social Security Disability Insurance eligibility?
Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) eligibility is based on a worker’s earnings over a certa...