How does age affect Social Security Disability Insurance eligibility?

Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) eligibility is based on a worker’s earnings over a certain number of years, and a minimum work history is required in order to be eligible. Exact numbers vary depending on income and age, but generally, you can earn four credits per year. You need at least 20 credits to be insured under SSDI. The older you are, the more credits you’ll need. A professional Social Security disability representative can help determine if you have the required work credits to be eligible.

Younger applicants have had less opportunity to pay FICA taxes, which is critical considering that MS diagnoses tend to come at younger ages than many other disabilities. The Social Security Administration (SSA) has more stringent rules applicable to younger individuals -- those under age 50 -- than for those 50 and older. So it’s important to have documentation of your work and medical history.

Continue Learning about Disability Insurance

Who is eligible for the Ticket to Work program?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
You become eligible to participate in the Ticket to Work program when you start receiving Social Sec...
Can I get health insurance coverage if I am disabled?
Many laws exist to regulate how insurance companies use information about a person"s disability to d...
How can I find work through the Ticket to Work program?
If you want to work through the Ticket to Work program, you can get the help you need from two types...
What is the Ticket to Work program?
Social Security’s Ticket to Work program supports the career development of individuals with disabil...