As a Vietnam vet, can I get benefits for Agent Orange-related diabetes?

Vietnam veterans with type 2 diabetes are eligible for disability compensation from the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) based on their presumed exposure to Agent Orange or other herbicides. Under Section 102, Public Law 104-262, the Veterans' Health Care Eligibility Reform Act of 1996, the Department of Veteran Affairs (VA) shall furnish hospital care and medical services, and may furnish nursing home care to veterans exposed to herbicides in Vietnam. There are some restrictions. The VA cannot provide such care for 1) a disability which VA determines did not result from exposure to Agent Orange, or 2) a disease which the National Academy of Sciences (NAS) has determined that there is "limited/suggestive" evidence of no association between occurrence of the disease and exposure to a herbicide agent.

Continue Learning about Disability Insurance

Where can I find information about disability resources online?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
Disability.gov is a federal government website that provides comprehensive information about disabil...
Who can qualify for Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI)?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
To qualify for Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) benefits, you must first have worked in j...
How can I get Social Security benefits if I have cancer?
PearlPoint Cancer SupportPearlPoint Cancer Support
To qualify for Social Security Disability benefits, you must meet the Social Security Administration...
How can I find work through the Ticket to Work program?
If you want to work through the Ticket to Work program, you can get the help you need from two types...