How do I control my food portion sizes at restaurants?

LeAnn Heise, MS, RD
I really like the Idaho plate method. It’s a way to portion food without having to understand specific measurements. All you have to do is divide the plate in half, fill one side with non-starchy vegetables, a quarter with protein and another quarter with carbohydrates. It’s a nice proportion and still allows you to have a little bit of everything.
Most restaurants serve extra-large portions. So ask for a half-order, or split an entrée with someone. Eat until you're satisfied -- then ask for a doggie bag to take home any leftovers. If you're eating fast food, keep in mind that "value size" meals often contain more calories than you should eat in an entire day! So make it a rule never to order the jumbo sizes -- order the kid's meal instead.
Jessica Crandall

Working with a Registered Dietitian is a great way to brainstorm ideas on portion control.

One way to control your portions is by asking for a to-go box when you order or asking the wait staff to box up half and bring the other half to you when delivering your food.

Another idea is by thinking about what you actually need vs. what you want- pay attention to your appetite awareness and remembering you only need to be satisfied not stuffed.

Order a side salad so that you get full of a lower calorie item such as vegetables prior to the main dish being brought out.

Sharing is a great way to assist in portion size reduction whether it comes to a main meal or dessert.

Ordering off the kids meal or small plates/bite options.

Brooke Randolph
Marriage & Family Therapy
When I go out to eat, which happens a few times each week for business things, I stretch my dollar and shrink my waistline by making sure to save some to take home, leaving me leftovers to look forward to. If I stick strictly to this principle, it will also prevent me from ordering French fries, which rarely warm up well.

In general, the servings at restaurants are obscene compared to the size of your stomach (about the size of your hand when empty). I have certainly gotten used to eating more than that at a meal. We have also all heard that it is better to eat several small meals throughout the day than just a few big meals. It is easier to restrict my intake when I know that if I am hungry again in a few hours, I can eat the rest. The same idea works at home, too, where we often eat more in a sitting than what can fit in our stomach.

Americans in general are not very good with delayed gratification, but it works for me to think about having something to look forward to and extending my experience, rather than self-restriction.
Struggling with your healthy eating goals at a restaurant? One important component of eating healthfully at a restaurant is maintaining sensible and appropriate portion sizes. Try these tips:
  • Instead of a large entrée, order an appetizer and a leafy green salad or choose two appetizers for a meal.
  • Start with a small serving like a cup of soup, a junior burger or a small order of fries. If you are still hungry, order something else.
  • Indulge your inner child: Order a kid's meal at a fast-food restaurant. Many now offer a choice of low-fat milk and fruits or vegetables instead of fries.
  • Savor your steak twice as much. Eat half at the restaurant, then take the other half home to enjoy sliced onto a green salad or as a sandwich on whole-grain bread.
  • Ask for a to-go box as soon as your meal is served. Put half your food into the container for a second meal. That's two meals for the price of one.
  • Share from start to finish. Order one appetizer for the whole table and then order one dessert with multiple forks. Sometimes, just a bite or two is perfect.
  • Share an entree. You can ask your server to split the meal in the kitchen or divide it up yourselves at the table.

Continue Learning about Dieting For Weight Loss

Dieting For Weight Loss

Dieting For Weight Loss

Losing weight quickly is OK as long as you do it safely, not through a crash diet. You can lose three or more pounds a week by burning more calories than you eat. If you burn an extra 500 calories per day through eating less and i...

ncreasing your physical activity, you can lose about one to two pounds of fat per week. Dietitians recommend a daily minimum of 1,200 calories per day (a 200-pound person might need 1,400 calories). Anything less makes you lose muscle as well as fat, which slows your metabolism. Instead, minimize your intake of starches, added sugars like high fructose corn syrup and animal fat from dairy and meats. Focus on eating fruits and vegetables, soy products, egg whites, skinless poultry breasts, shellfish and fish, nonfat dairy foods and meat that is 95 percent lean. Drink lots of water, don't skip meals, and eat only from a plate while seated at a table.