How can I avoid eating salt at restaurants?

Melissa Stinson, NP
Nephrology
Prepared foods at restaurants often contain very high levels of sodium. Nevertheless, there are some things you can do to reduce your salt intake when eating out. If nutritional information is available, look for meals that are low in sodium. Asking for sauces and dressings on the side and using the least amount possible is one way to help reduce sodium. You can also request your food be made with less salt, and the restaurant may be willing to accommodate you.

Continue Learning about Dieting For Weight Loss

Weight Loss Secret: Adventurous Eating
Weight Loss Secret: Adventurous Eating
Here’s a great way to have more food-fun every day—and lose weight at the same time. Ditch the tired oldies in recipes that you and your family have g...
Why should I plan what I'm going to eat on my diet?
Planning ahead is key to losing those extra pounds. In this video, Dr. Oz and Dr. Roizen explain...
5 Ways to Actually Stick to Your Diet This Summer
5 Ways to Actually Stick to Your Diet This Summer5 Ways to Actually Stick to Your Diet This Summer5 Ways to Actually Stick to Your Diet This Summer5 Ways to Actually Stick to Your Diet This Summer
How to make healthier choices, even at BBQs, pool parties and beach vacations.
Dr. Oz’s 3-Day Water Pill Experiment
Dr. Oz’s 3-Day Water Pill Experiment