Should I eliminate any food groups when I’m dieting?

Michaela Ballmann

Absolutely not! Any diets that eliminate entire food groups can lead to nutritional deficiencies after long-term adherence. Rather, It is better to alter the amount and types of foods you eat from the different groups. In order to lose weight, you can reduce the amount of total and saturated fat in your diet, but make sure to include some healthy fats like avocados, nuts, or olive oil in order to absorb the fat-soluble vitamins A, D, E, and K as well as provide some satiety at your meals. I would also recommend increasing the amount of non-starchy vegetables (basically any vegetable except potatoes, sweet potatoes, peas, and corn) at each meal and having 3 pieces of fruit daily. Substituting high-fat meats like bacon, sausage, and deli meats for lean meats or meat substitutes (tofu, tempeh, beans) also help decrease the total amount of fat and Calories you consume in a day.

Jackie Newgent
There's no need to eliminate any food groups when dieting. In fact, it's more important than ever to obtain good balance and nutrient-density when you're obtaining fewer calories. But there are many ways to approach this. It's possible to meet food group goals while following a vegetarian diet, for instance. Above all, it's best to follow an individualized approach to weight management. A registered dietitian can help provide a personalized plan for you to meet your specific needs and suite your eating style--and lifestyle. Good luck! 
Jim White

When dieting, it is not necessary or recommended to eliminate any food groups from your diet. It is actually extremely important to have a balanced diet and simply watch portion sizes. If you are interested in eliminating a certain food group or trying a certain diet, it would be advisable to check with a registered dietitian first. 

Alberta Scruggs

Eliminating food groups while attempting to lose weight may result in eliminating essential nutrients your body requires. This is not what you want to do. All nutrients have specific roles/functions in the body, and are necessary to keep the body functioning properly.

A registered/licensed dietitian can assist you with a weight loss meal plan that includes all food groups. The goal is to limit kcalories to make a caloric deficit, not eliminate food groups or nutrients. This is done not by eliminating food groups but by reducing caloric intake.

Serving size recognition (and remaining within daily caloric needs), is key to lifelong weight loss. Why? Because every serving size of food has a kcalorie amount. When eaten, that amount is added to your daily caloric needs (which may be 1,600; 1,800 or 2,000 kcalories). You want to remain within or below that amount. The more you practice doing this, the more familiar and accustomed eating this way becomes. Once that happens, a caloric deficit can occur, and so will weight loss.

Continue Learning about Dieting For Weight Loss

Pack on Greens to Shed Pounds
Pack on Greens to Shed Pounds
When the roadies strike the stage and load the trucks for Billy Joe Armstrong’s pop-punk band, some might say that’s Green Day Packing. In 1919, when ...
How can eating nuts promote weight loss?
Ruth FrechmanRuth Frechman
Eating a handful of almonds or other nut before a meal will "fill you up," so when it's time to eat ...
5 Ways to Actually Stick to Your Diet This Summer
5 Ways to Actually Stick to Your Diet This Summer5 Ways to Actually Stick to Your Diet This Summer5 Ways to Actually Stick to Your Diet This Summer5 Ways to Actually Stick to Your Diet This Summer
How to make healthier choices, even at BBQs, pool parties and beach vacations.
Why Should I Take a Multivitamin?
Why Should I Take a Multivitamin?