Why do conventional diets fail?

Whether or not a diet plan can be called "conventional" is largely in the eyes of the beholder. There are several common reasons why diet strategies fail, including:

• They're boring. If a diet severely limits the variety of foods you can eat, over time your palate can become bored. As a result, you'll start craving forbidden foods, which could lead you to overeat and gain weight.
  • They're too restrictive. Some diet plans simply include too little food. While that may lead to rapid weight loss, most people will not be able to tolerate a growling stomach. Many will respond by gorging themselves and gaining back any weight they may have lost.
  • They reset your metabolism. Another problem with very-low-calorie diets is that they can lower your metabolism, or the rate at which your body burns calories. That means your body needs fewer calories to operate, which makes it easier to gain weight. (Very-low-calorie diets should only be attempted with a doctor's guidance.)

Continue Learning about Dieting For Weight Loss

Weight Loss Secret: Adventurous Eating
Weight Loss Secret: Adventurous Eating
Here’s a great way to have more food-fun every day—and lose weight at the same time. Ditch the tired oldies in recipes that you and your family have g...
How should I choose a diet plan?
Heidi Skolnik, MSHeidi Skolnik, MS
To choose a diet plan, you need to determine what works best for you individually, a plan you will s...
5 Ways to Actually Stick to Your Diet This Summer
5 Ways to Actually Stick to Your Diet This Summer5 Ways to Actually Stick to Your Diet This Summer5 Ways to Actually Stick to Your Diet This Summer5 Ways to Actually Stick to Your Diet This Summer
How to make healthier choices, even at BBQs, pool parties and beach vacations.
How Can Adding Cocoa Powder to My Diet Help Me Lose Weight?