Why do conventional diets fail?

Whether or not a diet plan can be called "conventional" is largely in the eyes of the beholder. There are several common reasons why diet strategies fail, including:

• They're boring. If a diet severely limits the variety of foods you can eat, over time your palate can become bored. As a result, you'll start craving forbidden foods, which could lead you to overeat and gain weight.
  • They're too restrictive. Some diet plans simply include too little food. While that may lead to rapid weight loss, most people will not be able to tolerate a growling stomach. Many will respond by gorging themselves and gaining back any weight they may have lost.
  • They reset your metabolism. Another problem with very-low-calorie diets is that they can lower your metabolism, or the rate at which your body burns calories. That means your body needs fewer calories to operate, which makes it easier to gain weight. (Very-low-calorie diets should only be attempted with a doctor's guidance.)

Continue Learning about Dieting For Weight Loss

The Dangers of Yo-Yo Dieting
The Dangers of Yo-Yo Dieting
Yo-yo dieting is a recent phenomenon and, it turns out, a dangerous one. Researchers tracked 158,063 postmenopausal women over 11.4 years and found wo...
How can I stick to my diet?
Sure, it's easy to say, "I'm going to go on a diet," but this alone won't get you to a smaller waist...
5 Ways to Actually Stick to Your Diet This Summer
5 Ways to Actually Stick to Your Diet This Summer5 Ways to Actually Stick to Your Diet This Summer5 Ways to Actually Stick to Your Diet This Summer5 Ways to Actually Stick to Your Diet This Summer
How to make healthier choices, even at BBQs, pool parties and beach vacations.
How Can Adding Cocoa Powder to My Diet Help Me Lose Weight?