Are very low-calorie diets effective for weight loss?

A lot of people put themselves on very low-calorie diets when they get serious about losing weight. Unfortunately, this strategy is doomed to fail. First, it's not sustainable. If you're cutting back drastically on calories and you exercise regularly, you're going to lose weight in the short term (both body fat and muscle mass), but you're going to be hungry and feel weak most of the time. Ultimately, you'll return to your former eating patterns, and then you're not only likely to add back all the weight you just lost, but you may even gain more.

Second, extreme calorie cutting reduces your metabolic rate -- the number of calories that your body naturally burns to perform all of its daily functions, including mobility, digestion, breathing, etc. By reducing your metabolic rate, you make it more likely that you'll increase your body weight and fat stores with normal eating patterns.
Caroline M. Apovian, MD
Endocrinology Diabetes & Metabolism

Low-calorie diets can be tricky business, which is why they're often not effective. In this video, nutrition and weight management specialist Dr. Caroline Apovian talks about common mistakes people make -- and how to avoid them.

Marjorie Nolan Cohn
In the short term, a very low-calorie diet generally does result in weight loss. However, the weight loss is generally muscle and water weight. When someone loses weight quickly due to very restrictive diet, they are at high risk of gaining the weight back. Party because eventually restriction of too many calories leads to overeating or binging. And because when you lose muscle your metabolic rate slows down, making harder to keep the weight off. For long term weight loss that can be maintained, a diet that is moderate in calorie restriction is much more effective.

Continue Learning about Dieting For Weight Loss

Welcome to the Mindful Eating Zone
Welcome to the Mindful Eating Zone
In 1960, Rod Serling introduced his TV show by saying: “You are about to enter another dimension. A dimension not only of sight and sound, but of mind...
Can men and women use the same approach for intermittent fasting (IF)?
Int'l Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association (IHRSA)Int'l Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association (IHRSA)
Intermittent fasting (IF) is sometimes criticized for its blanket-prescription approach. Most altern...
5 Ways to Actually Stick to Your Diet This Summer
5 Ways to Actually Stick to Your Diet This Summer5 Ways to Actually Stick to Your Diet This Summer5 Ways to Actually Stick to Your Diet This Summer5 Ways to Actually Stick to Your Diet This Summer
How to make healthier choices, even at BBQs, pool parties and beach vacations.
Why Should I Include Protein in My Breakfast?