What oil in fish lowers triglycerides?

Joseph Saseen, PharmD
Cholesterol Management
The components of "fish oil" that lower triglycerides are two specific omega-3 fatty acids. These two omega-3 fatty acids are EPA and DHA. OTC fish oil supplements are not regulated by the FDA, so what they purport to have in each capsule is not verified by our drug regulatory authority (the FDA). However, there are two prescription drugs that contain these omega-3 fatty acids. They are regulated by the FDA and are indicated to lower triglycerides, unlike OTC nutritional supplement fish oils. These two products are Vascepa and Lovaza.

Continue Learning about Dietary Supplements

What's a Detox Supplement—and Does It Work?
“Toxins.” These shapeless, typically unnamed evils are said to exist everywhere and make us sick, giving rise to a booming industry of detox supplemen...
How can I ensure the quality of my vitamins or supplements?
Tod Cooperman, MDTod Cooperman, MD
To ensure the quality of your vitamins or supplements, there is a home test you can try, you can loo...
Is eating chocolate good for my heart?
Dole Nutrition InstituteDole Nutrition Institute
Research on cocoa’s cardiovascular benefits suggests that it can, in moderation, be beneficial. H...
How Does Coconut Oil Work to Improve Health?