What is the nutritional value of tea?

Michael T. Murray, ND
Naturopathic Medicine

Both green and black teas contain relatively high amounts of vitamins C, D, and K and riboflavin, as well as good amounts of the minerals calcium, magnesium, iron, zinc, sodium, nickel, and fluoride. However, it is the polyphenols of green tea that are responsible for its health benefits. A 6 oz. cup of tea contains only 1 calorie as carbohydrate, with no protein or fat.

Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

From the bestselling authors of The Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine, the most comprehensive and practical guide available to the nutritional benefits and medicinal properties of virtually everything...
Amy Jamieson-Petonic

Tea is high in an antioxidant called catechins, which have been shown to help prevent or reduce the incidence of cancer. A specific antioxidant called EGCG might also help promote fat burning and weight loss. Shoot for 3 cups of green tea (without cream or sugar) to get health benefits.

Continue Learning about Dietary Supplements

The Importance of Supplement Safety
The Importance of Supplement Safety
In 2002, the two-year-old daughter of Jude Law attended a children’s party at London’s Soho House Club. It was reported that while there, she swallowe...
What dosage of evening primrose oil is typically used for adults?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Evening primrose oil is available in capsules or as oil. A recommended dosage for adults in 2 to 8 g...
What distinguishes a dietary supplement from a drug?
Cheryl TaylorCheryl Taylor
Drugs are FDA (Food and Drug Administration) approved. Many dietary supplements are not. It is impor...
How Can I Be Sure the Supplements I Buy Are Safe?