What is glutathione?

Dr. David L. Katz, MD, MPH
Preventive Medicine
Glutathione is often called the superhero of antioxidants. In this video, Dr. Oz and I will discuss how glutathione works wonders in the body.

Michael T. Murray, ND
Naturopathic Medicine
Glutathione is a small protein composed of three amino acids: cysteine, glutamic acid, and glycine. It is involved in detoxification and antioxidant mechanisms. Many toxins are dealt with by "handcuffing" the toxin to another molecule so it can be escorted out of the body. The process of adding one molecule to another is called conjugation.

Glutathione is one of the most important conjugating compounds, which helps the body eliminate fat-soluble toxins, such as heavy metals, solvents, and pesticides, transforming them into a water-soluble form to allow more efficient excretion via the kidneys. The combination of detoxification and free radical protection results in glutathione being one of the most important anticancer and anti-aging agents in our cells. Dietary glutathione intake is associated with protection against some forms of cancer.
Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

From the bestselling authors of The Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine, the most comprehensive and practical guide available to the nutritional benefits and medicinal properties of virtually everything...

Continue Learning about Dietary Supplements

Don’t Take Supplements Without Doing This First
Think “all natural” means “perfectly safe”? That’s not always the case, at least when it comes to vitamins and supplements. In 2015, a study by the Ce...
Where along the gastrointestinal tract do different nutrients get absorbed?
All of the nutrients that come from food and supplements don't get absorbed in the same place; they'...
How should I take a medical nutrition supplement?
Most medical nutrition supplements are available in a liquid form, which can be swallowed. Most of t...
How Can I Shop for Reputable Brands of Vitamins and Supplements?