What are dietary supplements?

Dietary supplements are products you can eat or drink that claim to add nutritional value to the diet. A dietary supplement may include any of the following (this is just a sampling): a vitamin, mineral, herb or other botanical, amino acid. 
Dietary supplements include vitamins, minerals, herbal products, and other nutrients that are used to complement your diet. However, just because they aren’t labeled as “drugs” doesn’t mean they can’t have significant effects on your body, both good and bad.

It is important to remember that there are many supplements on the market today that have no medicinal benefits and, in certain circumstances, can cause some harmful effects.

This content originally appeared in the Taking Control of Your Diabetes newsletter on tcoyd.org.

Continue Learning about Dietary Supplements

News: More Than 700 Supplements Tainted With Prescription Drugs
Half of all US adults take dietary supplements, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, believing these pills, powders and drinks...
What supplements can I take daily to promote good health?
Joane GoodroeJoane Goodroe
This is Dr. Oz’s list of critical vitamins that every woman should be taking. Visit his website for ...
Is it safe to consume brewer's yeast?
Michael T. Murray, NDMichael T. Murray, ND
The high purine content of brewer's yeast makes it unsuitable for people with gout, kidney disease, ...
How Can I Shop for Reputable Brands of Vitamins and Supplements?