What are some supplements that can help with weight control?

In all studies, meal replacement bars and shakes have been shown to be an extremely effective weight loss aid, and, in almost all cases, more effective than conventional methods of dietary restrictions. Additionally, meal replacements have been shown to be just as effective as dietary restriction combined with drug therapy. Most importantly, continuous use of meal replacements may be the most effective means of all treatments when it comes to maintaining weight loss. Meal replacements are generally used to replace one or two meals a day and allow freedom of choice for the remaining allotted foods/calories.

Meal replacements allow:
  • Between meal snacks as an energy boost or appetite control aid.
  • Portion control. People generally attempt to consume meals to completion, regardless of portion size. Therefore, portion size significantly impacts a person’s total calorie intake. Overwhelming evidence validates that the smaller the portions, the fewer daily calories consumed and vice-versa, i.e. people tend to “eat with their eyes not their stomachs." Use of portion-controlled meals has proven to yield greater weight loss than conventional diet therapy alone.
  • Accurate calorie counts of total daily food intake when compared to having to estimate the calories of self-prepared foods or those without food labels.
Final note: Properly formulated meal replacements or meal supplements (as they may be called) are food, just in more convenient forms for specific times. You will always eat traditional foods, but in today’s hectic world meal replacements can remain part of everyone’s caloric intake to help satisfy hunger between meals and/or replace at least one meal daily. This allows freedom of choice for other meals such as lunch and dinners.

Continue Learning about Dietary Supplements

Don’t Take Supplements Without Doing This First
Think “all natural” means “perfectly safe”? That’s not always the case, at least when it comes to vitamins and supplements. In 2015, a study by the Ce...
Why should vegetarians eat brewer's yeast?
Michael T. Murray, NDMichael T. Murray, ND
Brewer's yeast is an ideal supplement for vegetarians because, when grown in the presence of vitamin...
How can I select almonds?
When selecting any nut, remember that nuts have the longest shelf life when they are still in their ...
How Can I Be Sure the Supplements I Buy Are Safe?