Are muscle gain supplements safe?

Brian Tanzer
First of all, there are no supplements that by themselves will help put on lean muscle mass. There are some supplements that can be used in conjunction with a healthy diet and resistance training such as weightlifting that can help one put on lean muscle mass. There are no magic bullets to putting on muscle. It takes hard work, a healthy diet and proper supplementation to effectively put on muscle. Some supplements that can be used effectively include protein powders which provide extra protein needed to put on muscle.

Creatine monohydrate can help increase strength and anaerobic performance indirectly supporting muscle gain. Branched chain amino acids (BCAA's) such as leucine can help support protein synthesis in muscle tissue and serve as an energy source for muscles during a resistance workout. I think these three have enough scientific evidence to support their efficacy and safety. many other so-called muscle gainers have not been studied enough or, not at all.

So make sure you get adequate protein along with these other supplements, and when combined with the right exercises one can safely and effectively gain lean muscle mass.

Continue Learning about Dietary Supplements

4 Exercise Supplements That Just Don’t Work—and 4 That Really Do
Athletes are always looking for ways to move faster, become stronger and have more energy. Many view supplements as a way to give them the edge needed...
What is ice cream?
Michael T. Murray, NDMichael T. Murray, ND
Ice cream is a frozen food made from a mixture of milk, cream, and nonfat milk combined with sweeten...
What are the benefits of nutritional supplements?
Jessica CrandallJessica Crandall
If you are lacking specific nutrients in your diet or if you have a higher need for certain nutrient...
How Can I Shop for Reputable Brands of Vitamins and Supplements?