How can prebiotics help reduce stress-induced digestive problems?

It may come as a surprise, but your intestines contain a large network of nerves that can become short-circuited by your emotions. When you’re calm and relaxed, your digestive system can function properly. However, when you experience stress, your intestines can get out of whack, resulting in constipation, bloating, or diarrhea.

To banish pain in your gut and restart your intestines, turn to prebiotics. Prebiotics are the foods you need to eat in order to aid digestion of probiotics -- the good bacteria found in foods such as Greek yogurt. Without prebiotics, the “bad” unwanted bacteria have an unfair advantage over probiotics and can cause a range of issues, including irritable bowel syndrome (IBS).

Luckily, prebiotics can be found in many everyday foods, including bananas, cooked whole grains, honey, raw garlic, and raw onion. Enjoy two to four servings of prebiotics every day to help your intestines run smoothly.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com.

Continue Learning about Dietary Supplements

What's a Detox Supplement—and Does It Work?
“Toxins.” These shapeless, typically unnamed evils are said to exist everywhere and make us sick, giving rise to a booming industry of detox supplemen...
Why do I smell like garlic after I eat it?
Garlic is good for you, but it can leave its tell-tale smell behind. In this video, Dr. Oz revea...
Is larch arabinogalactan a good source of fiber?
In addition to being a natural immune booster, larch arabinogalactan is also a good source of fiber....
How Do I Know If I Need a Supplement?
How Do I Know If I Need a Supplement?