How does Lactobacillus acidophilus work?

Lactobacillus acidophilus are bacteria that naturally inhabit the gastrointestinal tract and vagina where it helps to maintain an acidic environment. When the natural bacteria are out of balance, taking a Lactobacillus acidophilus product orally or vaginally replaces the "good" bacteria in the intestines and vagina, which helps prevent the growth of harmful bacteria.

Continue Learning about Dietary Supplements

The Importance of Supplement Safety
The Importance of Supplement Safety
In 2002, the two-year-old daughter of Jude Law attended a children’s party at London’s Soho House Club. It was reported that while there, she swallowe...
What are button mushrooms?
Michael T. Murray, NDMichael T. Murray, ND
Button mushrooms generally look like tiny umbrellas, having a dense parasol-like cap attached to a s...
How should I take a medical nutrition supplement?
Most medical nutrition supplements are available in a liquid form, which can be swallowed. Most of t...
How Can I Be Sure the Supplements I Buy Are Safe?