How can I add more fish oil to my diet?

Jacob Teitelbaum
Integrative Medicine
I've recommended fish oils for many years. The benefits of omega-3s for heart health, mental well-being, pain, and more make fish oil seem like a clear, natural choice. With fish oil being so important, I recommend people get at least 3-4 servings of salmon, tuna, sardines, herring or mackerel weekly.

If you find that getting the fish oil you need through meal planning is difficult to do, adding a supplement is a great alternative. Unfortunately, this can lead to taking a lot of pills (often 10-12 a day,) which is both obnoxious and expensive. In addition, there is some concern over mercury and other contamination that may be present in some fish oil supplements and many (if not most) brands are simply rancid (a major cause of fish burps.)

Fish oil has many benefits to your health, so it's important that you not overlook including it regularly in your diet. Consider the tradeoffs of getting your fish oil from foods versus supplementation, and make an informed choice of which way to go -- either way will be a smart decision.

Continue Learning about Dietary Supplements

Dietary Supplements

Whether you're visiting the drug store, grocery or natural food shop you'll likely find an aisle where there are jars and bottles of things for you to put in your body that are neither foods nor medicines. Ranging from vitamins an...

d minerals to fiber and herbal remedies, these supplements are not regulated in the same way as either food or medicine. Some of them are backed by solid research, others are folk remedies or proprietary cures. If your diet does not include enough of certain vitamins or minerals, a supplement may be a good idea. Natural treatment for conditions like constipation may be effective. But because these substances are unregulated, it is always a good idea to educate yourself about the products and to use common sense when taking them. This is even more true if you are pregnant or taking a medicine that may be affected by supplements.