How can I add more fish oil to my diet?

Jacob Teitelbaum
Integrative Medicine
I've recommended fish oils for many years. The benefits of omega-3s for heart health, mental well-being, pain, and more make fish oil seem like a clear, natural choice. With fish oil being so important, I recommend people get at least 3-4 servings of salmon, tuna, sardines, herring or mackerel weekly.

If you find that getting the fish oil you need through meal planning is difficult to do, adding a supplement is a great alternative. Unfortunately, this can lead to taking a lot of pills (often 10-12 a day,) which is both obnoxious and expensive. In addition, there is some concern over mercury and other contamination that may be present in some fish oil supplements and many (if not most) brands are simply rancid (a major cause of fish burps.)

Fish oil has many benefits to your health, so it's important that you not overlook including it regularly in your diet. Consider the tradeoffs of getting your fish oil from foods versus supplementation, and make an informed choice of which way to go -- either way will be a smart decision.

Continue Learning about Dietary Supplements

4 Exercise Supplements That Just Don’t Work—and 4 That Really Do
Athletes are always looking for ways to move faster, become stronger and have more energy. Many view supplements as a way to give them the edge needed...
What time of the year should I take larch arabinogalactan?
Larch arabinogalactan supplements are meant to be taken daily, year round. Larch arabinogalactan is ...
How does yogurt promote intestinal health?
Michael T. Murray, NDMichael T. Murray, ND
Yogurt containing live active cultures has been demonstrated to help maintain the normal intestinal ...
What Should I Beware of Before Buying Vitamins and Supplements?