Is grapefruit a result of cross breeding between orange and pomelo?

Michael T. Murray, ND
Naturopathic Medicine

The grapefruit was first noticed on Barbados in 1750 and is regarded as the result of a natural cross breeding between the orange and the pomelo, a citrus fruit that was brought from Indonesia to Barbados in the seventeenth century. By 1880, the grapefruit had become an important commercial crop in Florida, which is still a major producer of grapefruits in the United States, along with California,Arizona, and Texas. Grapefruits are also commercially produced in Israel, South Africa, and Brazil.

Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

From the bestselling authors of The Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine, the most comprehensive and practical guide available to the nutritional benefits and medicinal properties of virtually everything...

Continue Learning about Diet & Nutrition

Go Nuts With Chocolate
Go Nuts With Chocolate
Pretty much anything tastes good when it’s covered in chocolate. Think chocolate covered raisins, espresso beans, strawberries—the list keeps going. O...
What is the most important crop in the world?
Michael T. Murray, NDMichael T. Murray, ND
Grains are without question the most important food crop in the world, literally the "staff of life"...
6 Surprising Ways Your Diet Hurts Your Health
6 Surprising Ways Your Diet Hurts Your Health6 Surprising Ways Your Diet Hurts Your Health6 Surprising Ways Your Diet Hurts Your Health6 Surprising Ways Your Diet Hurts Your Health
An unhealthy diet can do a lot more than pack on the pounds.
What Foods Should I Eat to Help Balance My Hormones?