How can fruits and vegetables help improve bone health?

A colorful diet rich in produce has been linked to better bone health, though experts aren't exactly sure why. Fruits and veggies are rich in vitamin K, magnesium, and potassium, nutrients that play important roles in bone health. Simply eating a well-balanced diet -- and following the MyPlate.gov recommendations -- is often enough to ensure you get these nutrients, says Connie Weaver, PhD, who chairs the nutrition science department at Purdue University. "Have three cups of milk a day, and fill half your plate with fruits and veggies," she adds.

Continue Learning about Diet - Bones & Joints

How can I get enough calcium for healthy bones?
Dairy foods like milk, yogurt, and cheese are among the best sources of calcium in your diet. An 8-o...
How can my diet affect my risk of losing bone density?
Dole Nutrition InstituteDole Nutrition Institute
Excessive sugar intake can increase kidney stone formation, a process which in turn leaches calcium ...
What to Eat for Strong Bones
What to Eat for Strong BonesWhat to Eat for Strong BonesWhat to Eat for Strong BonesWhat to Eat for Strong Bones
Find out which foods keep bones healthy and protect against bone loss.
Try This Calcium-Packed Cuisine
Try This Calcium-Packed Cuisine