How do sugary foods affect my teeth?

Dante A. Gonzales, DMD
Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics
High sugar foods, some starchy foods and highly processed foods can harm healthy teeth and gums. In this video Dante Gonzales, DMD, discusses foods to avoid for a healthy mouth.
Our teeth are constantly being covered with a sticky film of bacteria, called plaque. When we eat or drink anything that contains sugar-such as cookies, candy, soda, juice, fruit, milk and many other foods and beverages-bacteria turn the sugar into acids that can attack tooth enamel. Over time, repeated attacks may result in decay.

Continue Learning about Diet & Your Teeth

4 Steps to a Healthier Lemonade
4 Steps to a Healthier Lemonade
Backyard barbecues, afternoons spent poolside, and days at the amusement park just wouldn’t be the same without ice-cold lemonade. Unfortunately, the ...
What foods should I avoid to keep my teeth healthy and white?
Jonathan B. Levine, DMDJonathan B. Levine, DMD
The good news is that along with being generally good for you, certain fruits and vegetables come eq...
How is nutrition related to oral health?
Your mouth is a window to your overall health. Nutrition plays a critical role. If your body doesn’t...
Can Sugar-Free Drinks Hurt the Teeth?
Can Sugar-Free Drinks Hurt the Teeth?