What is the peritoneal equilibration test?

The peritoneal equilibration test (PET) measures how effectively peritoneal dialysis is working. During peritoneal dialysis, a cleansing solution is infused into the abdomen of a person whose kidneys don't work, where it pulls wastes and extra fluids from the blood.

The solution contains dextrose or another sugar, salt and minerals dissolved in water. A catheter (soft tube) fills the abdomen with the solution. The solution mixes with wastes, salt and liquid, and all are removed when the solution drains out. This filling and removal process is called an exchange.

PET measures how much dextrose has been absorbed into the body from a bag of solution, and how much of the waste products urea and creatinine have flowed into the solution in a four-hour period. The rate at which dextrose is absorbed by the body and waste products move into the dialysis solution varies in different people. Those with higher rates may need to leave the dialysis solution in their abdomen for a shorter period so that they don't absorb too much dextrose and dialysis solution.

Continue Learning about Dialysis

What is end-stage kidney disease?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
End-stage kidney disease occurs when about 85-90% of kidney function has been lost. People with kidn...
Can I do home hemodialysis when traveling?
You can do home hemodialysis when you are traveling, although most people make arrangements for in-c...
How will I pay for my dialysis?
Dialysis is expensive. However, the federal government's Medicare program pays 80% of all dialysis c...
Is dialysis a common treatment for kidney failure?
If you have been diagnosed with kidney failure, you are among the 23 million Americans aged 20 years...