What insurance will cover the cost of dialysis if I travel?

Advertisement
Advertisement
If you are on dialysis, Medicare is your primary insurance coverage when you travel. Medicare will pay for 80% of your treatment costs within the U.S. and its territories. You will be responsible for the remaining 20% not covered by Medicare. If you have secondary insurance, it may cover this 20%. However, you may have to pay this 20% ""up front"" and bill your insurance later. Check with the transient dialysis center about its policy on this. Most state Medicaid programs will not pay for treatment outside of your home state.

If you have commercial insurance as your primary insurance, you may need to request a letter from your insurance company stating it will pay for your treatment at the transient dialysis center. Some commercial insurance will pay for dialysis outside of the U.S. Transient dialysis centers will often call and verify this coverage themselves. Be sure to allow enough planning time to make these arrangements.

A doctor's fee may also be charged by the transient dialysis center. Be sure to ask what portion of this charge will be your responsibility.

Continue Learning about Dialysis

Dialysis

Healthy kidneys remove waste from your blood and produce hormones your body needs. If your kidneys fail, you either need a kidney transplant or dialysis. Dialysis is a procedure that uses a machine to perform many of the functions ...

of the kidney. Dialysis can help prevent problems resulting from kidney failure and it allows people with kidney failure to live productive lives. Dialysis filters your blood, and like a health kidney, removes waste from your blood. Patients using dialysis are also required to follow a strict diet in order to stay healthy. There are two types of dialysis: hemodialysis and peritoneal dialysis. There are different advantages and disadvantages with both hemodialysis and peritoneal dialysis. Talk to your doctor about which type of dialysis would work better for you.
More

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.