What information do transient dialysis centers need from travelers?

If you are on hemodialysis and are traveling, most dialysis centers will require the following information in order to assess your health and plan for your treatments:
  • the dates you need dialysis treatment
  • information, including your name, address, and phone number
  • medical history and recent physical exam reports
  • recent lab results
  • recent electrocardiogram (EKG)
  • recent chest x-ray
  • your dialysis prescription, with three to five recent treatment records
  • dialysis access type
  • special needs or dialysis requirements
  • information about your general health
  • insurance information
  • where you will be staying in the area
  • a list of the medications you take during treatment and at home
This information will be sent to your transient center for review. It is important for the doctor and transient center to know as much about you as possible to ensure the right care while visiting their center. In addition to mailing your records to the center, you should carry a copy with you.

Continue Learning about Dialysis

How long can I live on dialysis?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
Now that doctors know more about how to treat kidney failure, people with the condition can live lon...
How does dialysis work?
Dialysis can be done in a hospital, in a dialysis unit that is not part of a hospital, or at home. Y...
Which type of dialysis should I get if I have diabetes?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Your doctor will help you decide whether hemodialysis or peritoneal dialysis is right for you. Diabe...
How will my healthcare team react if I want to stop dialysis?
If you decide you want to discontinue dialysis treatment, the members of your healthcare team will w...