What can I do if I have dry and itchy skin when on dialysis?

Dry or itchy skin is experienced by many people undergoing dialysis, especially in the winter. Use soaps that don't dry out skin as much, such as Ivory soap, and plain moisturizing lotions, such as Vaseline or Eucerin. Take care to avoid fragrance lotions, which may sensitize the skin further. In some cases, itchy skin can escalate into eczema, a white, scaly, itchy thickening of the skin. Discuss eczema with your doctor, who can prescribe a topical medicine.

Continue Learning about Dialysis

Does dialysis cause cramping?
Edtrina MossEdtrina Moss
Cramping can result from the process of dialysis as it relates to the rapid removal of fluid from th...
What is dialysis?
Dialysis is a medical treatment that removes waste from the body when the kidneys are in failure. No...
What should I do if I decide to stop dialysis treatment?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
If you decide to stop dialysis treatment, you or your surrogate may want to make sure the following ...
Which type of dialysis should I get if I have diabetes?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Your doctor will help you decide whether hemodialysis or peritoneal dialysis is right for you. Diabe...