What can I do if I have dry and itchy skin when on dialysis?

Dry or itchy skin is experienced by many people undergoing dialysis, especially in the winter. Use soaps that don't dry out skin as much, such as Ivory soap, and plain moisturizing lotions, such as Vaseline or Eucerin. Take care to avoid fragrance lotions, which may sensitize the skin further. In some cases, itchy skin can escalate into eczema, a white, scaly, itchy thickening of the skin. Discuss eczema with your doctor, who can prescribe a topical medicine.

Continue Learning about Dialysis

What are the risk factors for diseases that require dialysis?
Dialysis treats acute and chronic kidney failure. Some of the diseases that commonly cause kidney fa...
Why does dialysis cause low blood pressure?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
Low blood pressure is the most common side effect of dialysis. It affects one out of four people at ...
Is dialysis a common treatment for kidney failure?
Jeanne Morrison, PhDJeanne Morrison, PhD
   Dialysis is the standard treatment for kidney failure around the world.  Dialysis has saved the l...
How does dialysis affect the body?
Dialysis works like an artificial kidney by removing waste from the body. In hemodialysis, the most ...