What are the risk factors for diseases that require dialysis?

Dialysis treats acute and chronic kidney failure. Some of the diseases that commonly cause kidney failure are diabetes, high blood pressure, and blood vessel disease. If you have a medical or family history of any of these diseases, you are at higher risk for kidney failure, which, in its advanced stage, may require dialysis.

Continue Learning about Dialysis

How long will I need to stay on dialysis?
Edtrina MossEdtrina Moss
The survival rate for an individual who requires dialysis treatments is highly individualized. Ther...
How does phosphorus affect people on dialysis?
Methodist Specialty and Transplant HospitalMethodist Specialty and Transplant Hospital
When people are on dialysis phosphorus can build up in the blood because the kidneys no longer work ...
What can I do if I have dry and itchy skin when on dialysis?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
Dry or itchy skin is experienced by many people undergoing dialysis, especially in the winter. Use s...
What insurance will cover the cost of dialysis if I travel?
If you are on dialysis, Medicare is your primary insurance coverage when you travel. Medicare will p...