If I'm starting on hemodialysis, what dairy foods are low in phosphorus?

If you're starting on hemodialysis, dairy foods that are low in phosphorus include:
  • Butter and tub margarine
  • Cream cheese
  • Heavy cream
  • Ricotta cheese
  • Brie cheese
  • Non-dairy whipped topping
  • Sherbet
Note, however, that if you have or are at risk for heart disease, some of the high-fat foods listed above may not be good choices for you.

Certain brands of non-dairy milk (such as rice milk) and cream are low in phosphorus and potassium. Ask your dietitian for details.

Continue Learning about Dialysis

What can I do if I have dry and itchy skin when on dialysis?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
Dry or itchy skin is experienced by many people undergoing dialysis, especially in the winter. Use s...
How does dialysis affect what I eat?
If your doctor has prescribed dialysis, you will need to be aware of some special dietary needs. Dur...
Which type of dialysis should I get if I have diabetes?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Your doctor will help you decide whether hemodialysis or peritoneal dialysis is right for you. Diabe...
How should I handle food to avoid contamination if I am on dialysis?
Methodist Specialty and Transplant HospitalMethodist Specialty and Transplant Hospital
If you are on dialysis, it’s important to handle food carefully to avoid contamination: Wash you...