How does peritoneal dialysis work?

In peritoneal dialysis, the lining inside your abdomen (the peritoneum) becomes the filter. A soft plastic tube is put into the abdomen by a surgeon. When the body heals, cleansing fluid (dialysate) is put into the abdomen through this tube. Waste products in the bloodstream pass through the peritoneum into the dialysate. Then the dialysate, along with the waste products is drained off.

Continue Learning about Dialysis

What symptoms does dialysis treat?
Dialysis treats many different symptoms, most of them related to two types of kidney failure: chroni...
What happens between dialysis treatments?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
Fluid and toxins can build up in your body between dialysis treatments. But you can help reduce thes...
How should I handle food to avoid contamination if I am on dialysis?
Methodist Specialty and Transplant HospitalMethodist Specialty and Transplant Hospital
If you are on dialysis, it’s important to handle food carefully to avoid contamination: Wash you...
What determines my need for dialysis?
Dialysis replaces some of the work done by healthy kidneys and is needed when your own kidneys can n...