How should I prepare for dialysis?

Several weeks or months before your first hemodialysis treatment, your doctor will need to prepare an access site to your bloodstream. This procedure is called arteriovenous (AV) fistula, and is done in the hospital with an overnight stay, though it can also be performed on an outpatient basis. An AV fistula artificially connects a vein with an artery and is usually placed in your forearm. An AV fistula is prepared before hemodialysis with enough time to allow the site to heal before treatment.

Continue Learning about Dialysis

How long can I live on dialysis?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
Now that doctors know more about how to treat kidney failure, people with the condition can live lon...
How long will I live if I stop dialysis?
How long one continues to live after stopping dialysis varies from person to person. People who stop...
How will dialysis affect me on a daily basis?
Rest assured that hundreds of thousands of people who are in dialysis therapy conduct normal, health...
Is dialysis a common treatment for kidney failure?
If you have been diagnosed with kidney failure, you are among the 23 million Americans aged 20 years...