How does dialysis affect what I eat?

If your doctor has prescribed dialysis, you will need to be aware of some special dietary needs. During hemodialysis treatment, for example, you will need to restrict your daily intake of sodium and potassium. If you are undergoing peritoneal dialysis, you will lose protein during the treatment process, so you will need to add protein to your diet. Talk to a dietician about designing a special diet for you during dialysis treatment.

Continue Learning about Dialysis

What can I do if I have muscle cramping when on dialysis?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
Muscle cramping can cause extreme discomfort to many people who are on dialysis. Since the cause of ...
Can I go back on dialysis if I change my mind after stopping treatment?
You may go back on dialysis if you change your mind about stopping treatment. If you have missed sev...
What do I need to know about caring for someone in dialysis treatment?
Being in dialysis therapy can be overwhelming. Your support and care will go a long way in helping s...
Are there any serious complications from dialysis?
Serious complications can develop from dialysis, especially if your treatment plan is not followed c...