How does dialysis affect what I eat?

If your doctor has prescribed dialysis, you will need to be aware of some special dietary needs. During hemodialysis treatment, for example, you will need to restrict your daily intake of sodium and potassium. If you are undergoing peritoneal dialysis, you will lose protein during the treatment process, so you will need to add protein to your diet. Talk to a dietician about designing a special diet for you during dialysis treatment.

Continue Learning about Dialysis

How should I prepare food to avoid contamination if I am on dialysis?
Methodist Specialty and Transplant HospitalMethodist Specialty and Transplant Hospital
If you are on dialysis, it’s important to shop for and prepare food carefully to avoid contamination...
What determines my need for dialysis?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
Dialysis replaces some of the work done by healthy kidneys and is needed when your own kidneys can n...
What do I need to know about caring for someone in dialysis treatment?
Being in dialysis therapy can be overwhelming. Your support and care will go a long way in helping s...
What should I do if I decide to stop dialysis treatment?
If you decide to stop dialysis treatment, you or your surrogate may want to make sure the following ...