Does dialysis cause cramping?

Edtrina Moss
Ambulatory Care

Cramping can result from the process of dialysis as it relates to the rapid removal of fluid from the individual by the dialysis process. The cause of cramping is more closely related to hypervolemia or fluid excess/overload. When fluid overload occurs, the dialysis machine is programmed to remove the excess fluid in the prescribed time, usually four hours. The amount of fluid overload is largely based on your "dry weight" as assessed by your physician/provider. The greater the amount of fluid gain in excess of the "dry weight" the faster the machine is required to remove the fluid to help prevent complications such as congestive heart failure or pulmonary edema.

Therefore, it is more important to focus on reducing the amount of fluid gain between dialysis treatments than the dialysis process itself. Reductions in fluid gain between treatments will go far in reducing cramping during treatments.

Continue Learning about Dialysis

How should I prepare food to avoid contamination if I am on dialysis?
Methodist Specialty and Transplant HospitalMethodist Specialty and Transplant Hospital
If you are on dialysis, it’s important to shop for and prepare food carefully to avoid contamination...
What tests indicate whether I'm getting the right amount of dialysis?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
One of the measures your dialysis care team may use is called urea reduction ratio (URR). Another me...
What are the most common side effects of dialysis?
Many people on dialysis experience side effects of treatment. The most common side effects are: ...
When would I need dialysis?
You need dialysis if your kidneys no longer remove enough wastes and fluid from your blood to keep y...