Are there any alternatives to dialysis?

Dialysis is a treatment for advanced kidney failure, which can be fatal if left untreated. When kidney failure is in an advanced stage, the only other treatment option is kidney transplant. However, certain complications caused by kidney failure can also be alleviated or lessened through a special diet. This usually means foods low in salt, protein, and potassium. Ask your doctor to refer you to a dietician, who will help design a special diet.

Continue Learning about Dialysis

What can I do if I have dry and itchy skin when on dialysis?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
Dry or itchy skin is experienced by many people undergoing dialysis, especially in the winter. Use s...
What are the risk factors for diseases that require dialysis?
Dialysis treats acute and chronic kidney failure. Some of the diseases that commonly cause kidney fa...
What should I do if I decide to stop dialysis treatment?
If you decide to stop dialysis treatment, you or your surrogate may want to make sure the following ...
Can I prevent the need for dialysis?
Dialysis is required when the kidneys are in failure. The diseases that most commonly lead to kidney...