Dialysis is a treatment for advanced kidney failure, which can be fatal if left untreated. When kidney failure is in an advanced stage, the only other treatment option is kidney transplant. However, certain complications caused by kidney failure can also be alleviated or lessened through a special diet. This usually means foods low in salt, protein, and potassium. Ask your doctor to refer you to a dietician, who will help design a special diet.
- Q What are important things to remember if I am on a hemodialysis diet?
- Q How does dialysis affect what I eat?
- Q How will dialysis affect me on a daily basis?
- Q Are there any serious complications from dialysis?
- Q What will happen to me if I stop dialysis?
- Q Is it safe to reuse my dialyzer each dialysis treatment?