Dialysis is a treatment for advanced kidney failure, which can be fatal if left untreated. When kidney failure is in an advanced stage, the only other treatment option is kidney transplant. However, certain complications caused by kidney failure can also be alleviated or lessened through a special diet. This usually means foods low in salt, protein, and potassium. Ask your doctor to refer you to a dietician, who will help design a special diet.
- Q What insurance will cover the cost of dialysis if I travel?
- Q What types of dialysis are there?
- Q How long will I need to stay on dialysis?
- Q What determines my need for dialysis?
- Q How does phosphorus affect people on dialysis?
- Q What can I do if I have nausea and vomiting when on dialysis?