Dialysis is a treatment for advanced kidney failure, which can be fatal if left untreated. When kidney failure is in an advanced stage, the only other treatment option is kidney transplant. However, certain complications caused by kidney failure can also be alleviated or lessened through a special diet. This usually means foods low in salt, protein, and potassium. Ask your doctor to refer you to a dietician, who will help design a special diet.
- Q Is dialysis expensive?
- Q Which type of dialysis should I get if I have diabetes?
- Q What should I consider if I am on dialysis and want to travel?
- Q How will my healthcare team react if I want to stop dialysis?
- Q Does dialysis cause cramping?
- Q When would I need dialysis?