Why must I fast before some medical testing?

Fasting 12 hours before certain kinds of medical testing is recommended by most physicians so that your stomach and digestive contents do not interfere with the results. Also, fasting is recommended before surgery. This ensures that your digestive organs are empty and do not crowd the area being operated on. It also helps to make sure that stomach matter does not get into the chest cavity if your body is affected by weakness from anesthesia.

Continue Learning about Diagnostic Procedures

Know Before You Go: Radiation
Know Before You Go: Radiation
When you’ve been diagnosed with cancer, you may feel like you’re all alone—but you’re not. You’ll have a team of healthcare providers (HCPs) dedicated...
Scoping Out Endoscopes
Scoping Out Endoscopes
When James Garner starred as Lt. Kenneth Braden in Up Periscope (1959), the submarine commander knew infiltrating Japanese waters to retrieve secret r...
What is pathology?
Memorial Hospital of TampaMemorial Hospital of Tampa
There are two parts to pathology—clinical pathology and anatomic pathology. Pathology tests can help...
What should I expect during a test that uses IV contrast material?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
The experience of having an intravenous (IV) contrast material varies from person to person. Her...