What can I expect if I have to go for a barium swallow?

Daniel Labow, MD
Surgical Oncology
During the procedure, you will drink barium, a thick, white, milkshake-like liquid. Barium coats the inside lining of the esophagus, stomach, and duodenum and makes them show up more clearly on x-rays. The radiologist can also see ulcers, scar tissue, abnormal growths, hernias, or areas where something is blocking the normal path of food through the digestive system. Using a machine called a fluoroscope, the radiologist is also able to watch your digestive system work as the barium moves through it. This part of the procedure shows any problems in how the digestive system functions, for example, whether the muscles that control swallowing are working properly. As the barium moves into the small intestine, the radiologist can take x-rays of it as well.

An upper GI series takes 1 to 2 hours. X rays of the small intestine may take 3 to 5 hours. The procedure is not uncomfortable. The barium may cause constipation and white-colored stool for a few days after the procedure.

Continue Learning about Diagnostic Procedures

Know Before You Go: Radiation
Know Before You Go: Radiation
When you’ve been diagnosed with cancer, you may feel like you’re all alone—but you’re not. You’ll have a team of healthcare providers (HCPs) dedicated...
Scoping Out Endoscopes
Scoping Out Endoscopes
When James Garner starred as Lt. Kenneth Braden in Up Periscope (1959), the submarine commander knew infiltrating Japanese waters to retrieve secret r...
What happens after an endoscopy?
Chekesha Culbertson, RNChekesha Culbertson, RN
After an endoscopy a patient is immediately taken to the recovery area to be monitored, says Kesha C...
Why should I have a digital rectal exam if my PSA result is abnormal?
St Francis Medical CenterSt Francis Medical Center
You should have a digital rectal exam if your prostate specific antigen (PSA) result is abnormal bec...