What is diagnostic ultrasound used for?

Major applications of ultrasound include obstetrical imaging, abdominal imaging, and Doppler imaging, a variant technique used in heart and vascular diagnosis. In some instances, biopsies are performed under the guidance of ultrasound, permitting more accurate and less invasive tissue sampling.

Continue Learning about Diagnostic Procedures

Know Before You Go: Radiation
Know Before You Go: Radiation
When you’ve been diagnosed with cancer, you may feel like you’re all alone—but you’re not. You’ll have a team of healthcare providers (HCPs) dedicated...
Scoping Out Endoscopes
Scoping Out Endoscopes
When James Garner starred as Lt. Kenneth Braden in Up Periscope (1959), the submarine commander knew infiltrating Japanese waters to retrieve secret r...
Can the type of lung surgery I have influence my risk of opioid dependency?
The Society of Thoracic SurgeonsThe Society of Thoracic Surgeons
The type of lung surgery you have can influence your risk of opioid dependency. The results of a com...
What are the pitfalls of capsule endoscopy?
Unfortunately capsule endoscopy can miss a lot and it doesn't have the accuracy of a doctor-guided c...