What is a computed tomography (CT) of the colon?

Computed tomography (CT) colonography (virtual colonoscopy) is recommended for people at risk for colorectal cancer every five years. This method is under investigation. It is an advanced CT scan of the colon and rectum that produces two- and three-dimensional images of the colon and rectum that allow a doctor to look for polyps or cancer.

Continue Learning about Diagnostic Procedures

Scoping Out Endoscopes
Scoping Out Endoscopes
When James Garner starred as Lt. Kenneth Braden in Up Periscope (1959), the submarine commander knew infiltrating Japanese waters to retrieve secret r...
When should I be screened for a specific disease?
In general, screening is a good thing when:The disease being screened for is a significant health pr...
What should I expect in an endoscopy?
During an endoscopy you can expece to be sedated.  A doctor uses an endoscope, which is a long flexi...
What is an endoscopy?
Chekesha Culbertson, RNChekesha Culbertson, RN
Endoscopy is performed on the upper and lower gastrointestinal, or GI, tract. In this video, Kesha C...