What are biomarkers and how can they help evaluate my health?

Picture yourself in a routine physical exam. The doctor takes a few samples of blood and urine or even asks you to spit in a cup. A drop of each sample is placed on a microchip and positioned in a tabletop machine in the doctor's office. The rest of the samples are sent off to a clinical laboratory. Your molecular profile has just been read.

Every disease leaves a signature of molecular "biomarkers" in our body — genes that turn on and off, or proteins released into the bloodstream. Biomarkers measured in blood and other samples can tell us the state of our health and how we might respond to treatment. They are powerful tools that can detect certain diseases at their earliest stages before symptoms appear, when they are most treatable. Biomarkers can also guide the physician to prescribe an effective drug that will be free of side effects. Biomarkers represent the future of medicine, in which disease diagnosis, treatment, monitoring and prevention will be guided by a continual readout of our molecular make-up.

Continue Learning about Diagnostic Procedures

Know Before You Go: Radiation
Know Before You Go: Radiation
When you’ve been diagnosed with cancer, you may feel like you’re all alone—but you’re not. You’ll have a team of healthcare providers (HCPs) dedicated...
Scoping Out Endoscopes
Scoping Out Endoscopes
When James Garner starred as Lt. Kenneth Braden in Up Periscope (1959), the submarine commander knew infiltrating Japanese waters to retrieve secret r...
What should I expect in an endoscopy?
During an endoscopy you can expece to be sedated.  A doctor uses an endoscope, which is a long flexi...
How can I help prevent bleeding after cardiac catheterization?
Bernard J. Staller, MDBernard J. Staller, MD
After cardiac catheterization, here are some steps to reduce the risk of bleeding from the site wher...