What do I need to do before I have a flexible sigmoidoscopy?

Before the test, you will need to have a bowel preparation to clean out your lower colon. The colon and rectum must be empty and clean so your doctor can view the lining of the sigmoid colon and rectum. Your doctor will give you specific instructions to follow. You may be asked to follow a special diet (such as drinking only clear liquids) for a day before the exam. You may also be asked to use enemas or to use strong laxatives to clean out your colon before the exam. Be sure your doctor is aware of any medicines you are taking, as you may need to change how you take them before the test.

Continue Learning about Diagnostic Procedures

Diagnostic Procedures

Diagnostic Procedures

Allergy tests, echocardiograms, biopsies, semen analysis and spinal taps are just a few of the medical diagnostic procedures that are performed on patients diagnose diseases and conditions. These classification procedures do not i...

nvolve x-ray imaging or a surgical procedure, but, involve taking measurements and samples of fluids, tissues and cells. Learn more about diagnostic procedures from our experts.