What do I need to do before I have a flexible sigmoidoscopy?

Before the test, you will need to have a bowel preparation to clean out your lower colon. The colon and rectum must be empty and clean so your doctor can view the lining of the sigmoid colon and rectum. Your doctor will give you specific instructions to follow. You may be asked to follow a special diet (such as drinking only clear liquids) for a day before the exam. You may also be asked to use enemas or to use strong laxatives to clean out your colon before the exam. Be sure your doctor is aware of any medicines you are taking, as you may need to change how you take them before the test.

Continue Learning about Diagnostic Procedures

Scoping Out Endoscopes
Scoping Out Endoscopes
When James Garner starred as Lt. Kenneth Braden in Up Periscope (1959), the submarine commander knew infiltrating Japanese waters to retrieve secret r...
Know Before You Go: Radiation
Know Before You Go: Radiation
When you’ve been diagnosed with cancer, you may feel like you’re all alone—but you’re not. You’ll have a team of healthcare providers (HCPs) dedicated...
How much can ultrafiltration remove?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Ultrafiltration can remove as much as a pound of excess salt and water each hour. Patients undergoin...
What is flexible sigmoidoscopy?
Dr. Vincent T DeVita JrDr. Vincent T DeVita Jr
A flexible sigmoidoscopy is a test in which the doctor looks at part of the colon and rectum with a ...